Yes – you can apply to a South African university if you have written the GED® and met the requirements of USAF for foreign conditional exemption below.
Universities South Africa (USAF) , which governs the entrance criteria for South African universities, recognises the GED® as a foreign grade 12 equivalent and they will issue a certificate granting a foreign conditional exemption to candidates who meet the following requirements:
The GED® is required in combination with either
- a letter of acceptance to an accredited American university or
- a prescribed score on the SAT test
(You can check this for yourself here: http://mb.usaf.ac.za/united-states-of-america/)
PLEASE NOTE: You MUST check with the universities and specific faculty of your choice that they will accept these foreign qualifications before embarking on this route of qualification. Many degrees and courses have additional requirements which you will also have to fulfill, no matter what Grade 12 credential you have.
We have emailed the admissions faculties of all 23 universities and most of them have confirmed that they will accept candidates who apply with a GED® qualification that meets Universities SA requirements as set out above.
We also know of homeschoolers who have been accepted at universities with their GED® qualification plus a letter from a US university or plus the appropriate SAT scores.
The following universities and institutions and more will consider and most have already accepted candidates with a GED® and foreign conditional exemption.T
This list is copyrighted. Do not copy.
- Wits University
- Rhodes University
- North-West University
- Stellenbosch University
- University of the Free State
- University of Venda for Science and Technology
- Mangosuthu University of Technology
- University of Pretoria
- University of Johannesburg
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- University of Cape Town (Possibly not all faculties will accept GED® credentials plus foreign exemption, so check with the faculty to which you wish to apply. Each faculty may set their own admission criteria.)
Plus these tertiary institutions have accepted students with a GED® credential and foreign conditional exemption. In some instances a portfolio or other requirements also had to be met:
- The AAA School of Advertising
- AFDA, The South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance
- The Animation School
- Boland College
- Boston City Campus
- Cape Town College of Fashion Design
- City Varsity School of Media and Creative Arts
- Cornerstone Institute
- CTU College
- MATA – Mega Aero Training Academy
- Denel Aviation
- Embury College
- EMENDY Multimedia Technology Institute
- ETA College
- False Bay College
- Isa Carstens Academy
- Lyceum College
- Prestige Academy
- Red & Yellow (BA Visual Communications)
- Rosebank College
- SAE Institute -Creative Media Education
- The South African College of Applied Psychology
- Varsity College
Apply Online to a US University
You can apply online for a letter of acceptance to a US University. Contact us for advice about where to try.
There is usually a $50 application fee, payable by credit card.
Once you have completed your GED® tests, we will provide you the information you need to apply for your foreign conditional exemption from Universities SA.
You can apply online. (Click on the sample image on the right to see it enlarged.)
Universities SA charges R450 for this application (in 2016).