After the GED®

When you have completed all 4 of the GED® tests, you will need this info explaining what to do after the GED®.

You will receive all your scores in digital format, but it is advisable to also order paper copies of your diploma. You can order one free copy of  your diploma, but you should also order a paper copy of  the transcript (report with scores), for which you must pay.

Click here for How to Order Paper Copies of your GED® Transcript and Diploma after the GED® (to be added soon)


Apply to USAf for Foreign Conditional Exemption after the GED®

foreign exemption certificate after the GED

Certificate of Foreign Conditional Exemption issued by USAf

Once you have received the paper copies of your GED® diploma and transcript, you may wish to apply to USAf (Universities South Africa) for foreign conditional exemption, if you want to apply to a South African University.

The decision as to whether you meet the requirements to receive Foreign Conditional Exemption is at the discretion of USAf.

Follow these steps in the application process for foreign conditional exemption:

1. Get Copies Notarised

Make copies of your GED® Diploma and your GED Transcript and have them notarised by a Public Notary. A stamp by a commissioner of oaths, such as a police officer, will NOT be accepted by USAf.

after the GED - get your documents notarised

Notary seal on a copy of a GED® diploma

2. Pay Fees

Pay the application fee via an Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT): You will need the Proof of Payment in PDF format for the online application below. You can check the latest fees and the bank details at this link:

In 2018 it is R500

The surname and initials of the exemption certificate applicant must be clearly indicated on the electronic payment instruction to expedite the linking of the fee to the applicant.


3. Scan Documents

Ensure you have the following documents in PDF format before moving onto the online application form:

  • Proof of Payment
  • ID Document
  • Acceptance letter from a US University (need not be certified) – contact us by email for a recommendation for this
  • GED® Diploma – notarised copy
  • GED® Transcript – notarised copy

4. Complete Application Form

Complete the online form:

Ensure you select USA HIGH SCHOOL DIPL when selecting the Name/Type of certificate

There is no need to complete the section asking for the subjects.
Print  a copy of the form too.


5. Send Paper Copies to USAf

You also need to send copies of all the documents in points 3 and 4 above to the following address:

Universities South Africa(Matriculation Board)
PO Box 3854

Physical Address:
Universities South Africa (Matriculation Board)
1267 Pretorius Street

We recommend that you send them by courier or by registered mail.

Should you not receive a reply email from Universities SA within 3 working days, call 010-591-4401, select extension 2 and follow up to ensure they have received all the required documentation.

Should you receive your letter from USAf confirming that you can qualify for a certificate of foreign conditional exemption you can apply to the University of your choice.

(Some universities do allow you to apply before you receive the letter from USAf, but the letter of foreign conditional exemption will be required if you are provisionally accepted by the university.)

Apply to the University of Your Choice

Most universities have an online application process. Check their respective websites to find out how to do this.
Once you are accepted at the South African university, follow the instructions on the letter you initially received from Universities South Africa (USAf) so that you can get your Certificate of Foreign Conditional Exemption which is valid for 5 years.

USAf may issue you provisional foreign conditional exemption to enable you to apply to a university of your choice, however they may request that you submit additional documents to them, such as an official letter of acceptance or an official application for exemption from a public (or private) South African university, to confirm your exemption by a certain date.

Please note: There is no guarantee that a university will accept you as there are many factors they take into account, no matter what kind of matric certificate or equivalent you have.